Green isn't just the colour of money
In the 2011/12 financial year, the firm is focusing its CSR efforts on the theme of Environment.
To help kick start our environmental initiatives we have launched the Green Shoots Poster competition. This involves pupils from 11 schools across Scotland creating artistic posters, which incorporate a 'raising environmental awareness' theme.
For participating, each school will receive a £100 donation - to be used towards environmental projects - from Johnston Carmichael, with the winning team set to be presented with an extra £300 from the firm. The 12 winning posters will feature in a 2012 environmental calendar, which will be distributed and promoted through our offices and the schools.
In May 2008 Johnston Carmichael’s began its own environmental audit. Since then the firm has put in place a number of systems aimed at making our offices kinder to the environment through a reduction in unnecessary waste.
Simple things like adjusting the temperature of our heating and water as well as monitoring off-peak energy usage have already made a great impact on our energy consumption. Recycling is widely practiced throughout our offices and all of our shredded documentation is treated in this manner. Johnston Carmichael has saved 167 trees through our recycling scheme since October 2008. Our water coolers no longer use bottled water and our staff no longer use disposable plastic cups when they visit them.
Because we understand that there is far more we can do outside our firm, our CSR representatives are organising activities, such as gardening, that give our staff the chance to volunteer in the community.
The important thing that we realise as a firm is that there will always be room for improvement. By constantly measuring our progress and formulating fresh ideas, we hope to make a considerable difference.
“Having been through our own audit, and knowing how our clients feel, we have implemented various initiatives firm wide which will reduce the impact of our carbon footprint.”
Avril McLeod, Director
Related press releases
- Aberdeen staff raise charity cash for local cause
- Over £40,000 raised for charities after year-long fundraising campaign
- Inverness staff raise charity cash for local cause
- Johnston Carmichae's Forfar staff raise charity cash for local cause
- Johnston Carmichael's Edinburgh staff raise charity cash for local cause
- £4000 fund raising success with 54 hole golf challenge
- Glasgow staff raise charity cash for local cause
- Johnston Carmichael's Inverurie staff raise charity cash for local cause
- Johnston Carmichael Chairman and Chief Executive to tackle three peaks challenge for charity
- Johnston Carmichael staff plant trees for charity